1955 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1955 Graham

Post by jdaw1 »

On Friday 1st April 2016 Daniel Jewesbury and his friend Mark O., Miguel Simoes and his friend Daniel Ron, Jay Hack, and Arlene and Stephan Bassett gathered in Lupulo (835 Sixth Avenue at 29th Street, NY 10001-4101) to sample some Graham’s vintages.

Links:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1955 Graham

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=99087#p99087]Here[/url] J a y H a c k wrote:1955 Graham Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto
Outstanding, not only is it not on the downside, but still a tiny bit of bite indicating that it may have a bit more time before it actually reached its plateau. Velvety smooth and sexy/slutty. Fruit driven with the alcohol in check. dark red fruit. No caramel, no nuts indicating oxidation has not yet set in. Just pure and smooth. Consensus WOTN. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

The bottles:

How did we confirm that the unlabeled bottle from a private cellar that they never bothered to put a label on was actually a 1955? This might do it.

djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 1955 Graham

Post by djewesbury »

This was a very good bottle. I noted cedar and tobacco in the nose which were very agreeable. It was still a little taut in the mouth as Jay says, but I don't think that it really has that far to go. Bottles from the same batch were tasted here (at which Johnny Symington thought, "disappointing") and here (at which AHB (and I) thought, "wonderful"). This was certainly not disappointing. It was the clear WOTN, rich and still powerful, silky, but I don't think it'll get any better than it already is.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...