1977 Fonseca

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1977 Fonseca VP

Post by RonnieRoots »

I've been lucky enough to have tated this port a number of times. The first time was on an offline with Stevie, LadyR and joea. An absolutely stunning bottle, of which I don't think I made notes, but maybe Stevie can post his. The second bottle was was utterly disappointing. I poured it blind to Stevie and LadyR and both guessed it to be an off-vintage somewhere in the 70's from a not so good producer... :shock:

The third time was at the BBR offline, August 2005. Finally, I bothered to make some notes:
I first tried the "not so great bottle": A bit light in color, not much fruit on the nose, only some older notes. A difficult port to taste; it seems like the fruit is only just emerging, it has to struggle to get out there. It's nicely layered and has good structure, but probably in an odd phase, or a bit of an off bottle.
Then the "quite spectacular bottle": Color is much better than the first bottle, much younger looking and darker. So fresh and lively on the nose, with very ripe blackcurrant, forest fruit jam and some fennel. I would just keep smelling this if the taste wasn't so darn good! Again really fresh with vibrant fruit. Not a massive port, but it's built on subtlety and graciousness. It keeps going on and on. This is what port is all about. My no. 1 of the evening.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

You have to keep bringing it up don't you? :evil:
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

How about making a deal: next time we meet (which is hopefully soon), we'll track down a bottle of Fonseca 1977 and you can actually have a sip.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

In which case I may have to forgive you.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

My note from the same off-line, not the classy bottle - the other one that only had a few dregs... not that I'm bitter or would ever mention it:
A bit more spicy than the 1970 but still floral and obviously a bit young. Would not turn my nose up if offered it again though.