1994 Paxton and Whitfield

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1994 Paxton and Whitfield

Post by LGTrotter »

Opened and necked, still a bit left so I might be able to give a more considered view later.

Good and dark, a touch of pink at the rim. Not much on the nose, a bit dusty, a bit plum skins with a sense of tightness. On the palate bitter fruit, plenty of tannin, a slightly hollow feel in the middle, that lovely salty salivating finish which invites another sip. Very primary feel to it and this was a badly handled bottle, before and after I came by it, so no rush to drink it. But not bad value for thirty quid. I can't give it a points rating.

Does anyone know who made this port? I can't find anyone willing to own up to making it on the label, but then I don't have my spectaculars with me.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1994 Paxton & Whitfield

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm pretty sure that when I last saw a bottle of this in Leadenhall Market it did have the name of the shipper on it in very small letters at the bottom of the front label.

Any chance of pictures of the front and back labels?

What was the occasion that caused the opening and "necking" of a bottle of such an unusual port?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I drank it because it was the only bottle of port I had in the house. A shocking admission but there it is. My sister was a little morose following a dinner out on her birthday and I opened it to ginger her up a bit, and it worked a treat. I had it hanging around as it had a slightly raised cork and was dithering about whether to stash it or drink it, events rather overtook these deliberations.

The port itself was very fine. I was reflecting on the points made about drinking the 94s being infanticide just now, I would usually agree wholeheartedly, this port certainly has more to offer, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sometimes the zest of youth is just what is needed. Here are the photos.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (202.66 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (214.15 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

'Tis the Skeffington blend, good sir.

If you can find Skeffington 1994 - Davy's also used Skeffington for their 1994 own label port - it is usually excellent value for money. Skeffington tends to be made from the lotes of vintage quality port which are left over once the proper blends of Taylor, Fonseca and Croft have been completed and are the blend which allows the wine-maker to experiment and try things out so there tends to be a lot of vintage variation but never (rarely?) a lack of quality.

And how do I know it's Skeffington - because the small print at the bottom of the front of the it reads "Quinta & Vineyard Bottlers", which is TFP's bottling subsidiary and I have never, ever known TFP to allow anyone to buy Taylor, Fonseca or Croft wines to use for own label sales.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

@Owen - My usual request when someone posts an image of an interesting bottle - May I please add the images of the bottle/label to the VPID please?
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

PhilW wrote:@Owen - My usual request when someone posts an image of an interesting bottle - May I please add the images of the bottle/label to the VPID please?
Of course, and I extend this offer to include any past or future bottles which may be of interest.