1992 Maynard LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

1992 Maynard LBV

Post by Doggett »

1992 Maynard's LBV - Aldi have these for their Christmas range this year at £19.99 so I thought I would try a bottle. On opening it had a nose of musty wood followed by berry fruits coming through. It was quite red in colour, but the colour faded from the centre thinning to a glassy rim. The alcohol heat shows immediately on entry and then fades into thick tannins accompanied by ripe fruit. I also felt there was something almost metallic in nature to the taste. This was followed by huge heat on the finish, so much so that it almost felt like heartburn (which is a sensation that I am not sure I have experienced with port before). +8hrs Still lots of heat, but the juice is starting to soften. +24hrs Much more pleasant, a softer entry and a much better balance of heat and fruit. I would recommend a 24hr decant if you have purchased one, as it was definitely a bit too bold to begin with. Enjoyable, but by no means a great port. An extra tenner spent to trade up to their very fine 40YO aged tawny would have been a much better use of cash. 85 points