1970 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex M
Quinta do Noval LBV

1970 Taylor

Post by Alex M »

From a collection bought in 2013, bottle 2 of 6. This was bottled by Dienhard (sp) and was without label. I was forced to open this owing to a seeping cork - they was a residue akin to honey around top of the bottle. It was stood for 7 days before being opened and decanted for 8 hours prior to drinking. The cork came out in 2 pieces and there was heavy sediment.

D+0. It was overwhelmed by tannins and I struggled to find any sense of fruit.

D+4. The wine began to come together and I sensed mint, eucalyptus and berries.

D+8. The port had really integrated well. The above tastes were there and the finish seemed to last for minutes. It was spicy and others in my party sensed nutmeg. The alcohol is evident but almost masked by gentle fruit.

I think this is a good VP that still has potential to integrate for another 10-20 years. I'm glad I have some and I won't be in a rush to open my next bottle. I don't have much experience in the 1970 arena but I think 93/100 is a fair score.