2011 Quinta da Senhora do Convento

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

2011 Quinta da Senhora do Convento

Post by LGTrotter »

I bought six of these and hid them and then went back and bought one more, just to see.

A very deep colour, packed to the rim and staining the glass purple as I swirl it with a density that seems visibly different from most ports. Very long legs to the top of the glass.

The nose is minerals underlain with something else, possibly sloes. Not much alcohol.

The palate is heavy, echoing the sense of density, but the fruit is cool and the alcohol sitting back. A big surge of tannins throughout the palate give it a slightly rough ride, but this is young and I cannot imagine it being a problem as it develops. There is something about the fruit which reminds me of something I can't quite pin down. Delicious and very big.

I like this better than the LBVs and other vintage bits and bobs I have tried from 2011 but I cannot think of how to rate it in terms of points. Some may struggle with the relevance of Sartre's 'Being and nothingness' to a port tasting note but the idea that existence precedes essence is what I thought of. Check back in thirty years when it will have an essence to speak of.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 2011 Quinta da Senhora do Convento

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm really pleased that you liked this port, and that you managed to track some down. I think it's a stonker and a real surprise for a small producer that I hadn't heard of before tasting their 2011 a few years ago.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.