1983 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1983 Warre

Post by LGTrotter »

Decent dark colour, a bit paler at the rim but not worryingly so. An initial sip on opening gave a sense of ruffled tannin and a hint of sweetness on the finish. Once opened for a few hours I had another go and it was a pleasant and competent port but with not much chutzpah. Rather dry, rather sombre. The following night it seemed altogether more assured, the middle had filled out and the tannins and dryness had mellowed. Lovely finish, dense and layered.

I am uncertain what to make of this port, it shares more in common with the 80 than the 85 which is a good sign. I am sure it will develop some more and the 2 recent 83s I have had both seem more defined and coherent than they were ten years ago. The way I drink port, a bottle at a time with a gap in between they are certainly worth having, providing a nice contrast with the 85s. Being a bit under the radar (like the 1980 Warre) it may give as much satisfaction and even prove better than some other more obvious vintages in ten years. 91 points for this bottle.