1963 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

1963 Dow

Post by djewesbury »

One of a very good Irish-bottled lot shared with Justin and Alex. I think the second I’ve opnened.

Decanted 2½ hours

At decant this had prominent alcohol, but then so did I.

Drunk after pigeon, pheasant, roast spuds, roast parsnips, roast leeks, braised carrots, sprouts with walnuts and honey, juliennes of celery and potato and cranberry and orange stuffing, and various alcohols (pl.).

By the time of the first glass, this was outstandingly smooth. Light amber / chestnut, with pink notes.

N: Toffee, a little floral, almond, some kirsch cherry, a little acidity from the (now integrated) alcohol. A subtle aniseed or liquorice note.

M: Almonds and spice, a hint of vanilla, and the same satisfyingly full flavours suggested in the nose (toffee, sweet cherry), with that trademark Dow banana chew aspect as well. Held up well, drinking over 4 or 5 hours and only really growing in the process. Only later on it took a sharpness again as the alcohol predominated once more: old apples, I was informed. If so, toffee apples. The tannins soft throughout. Really very good still, and beautifully balanced. A port that is holding its own, thanks to being bottled in the chillier climes of a former empire that believed it would last forever (or still believes it May); one to drink whilst reading Lucretius.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Justin K
Niepoort LBV

Re: 1963 Dow

Post by Justin K »

Well when I asked Santa for a tasting note I didn’t realise I would get a novella, anyway heh ho merry Christmas 😀
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

But a very entertaining novella it was too. Not sure I enjoyed the (very well chosen) reference to Lucretius. A hint of smug schadenfruede echoed in his poem.

Hope you're well Daniel!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AHB wrote: 16:57 Thu 27 Dec 2018 Not sure I enjoyed the (very well chosen) reference to Lucretius. A hint of smug schadenfruede echoed in his poem.

Hope you're well Daniel!
Then again, some critics insist that Lucretius is not saying that real joy is to be taken from seeing others in peril; rather that it is instructive and even essential to be reminded that one's own safety and security is always relative... But who can say, at this distance?

Very well thank you, and happy new year and god fortsättning to you Alex! Hopefully we'll drink, I mean meet, again soon.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...