1977 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

1977 Warre

Post by richmills »

Taken in my luggage to France to share with a friend and opened after standing and settling for a week.

A very light color on initial decanting, more tawny than pink. Nice nose, but a rather thin flavour of dried fruits, coffee and nuts. I did wonder if it was slightly oxidised although the bottle had a good level and no obvious signs of major seepage.

After 6 hours in the decanter it had put on some deeper color and filled out somewhat, but I was still a little disappointed at the lack of complexity. I'm a big fan of the 77s usually and this was the first time I'd had the Warre so I don't know if this was a typical bottle or not. 87 points.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1977 Warre

Post by PhilW »

This does not sound typical of this wine. In my experience Warre '77 can vary somewhat, but I would expect it to be a good medium/dark red colour still, and not oxidised.

Since I hadn't opened on for a while, I've just decanted one; pics below for your colour comparison (against white tile), or attached (first time posting pics via tapatalk, not sure how this'll work).

By taste, lovely full dark cherries, full bodied, great length, and (imo) now reaching full maturity - absolutely gorgeous port.
ImageImage
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I agree with Phil, this doesn't seem to be a typical showing for W77.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

Post by richmills »

No mine didn't look quite like that in the glass. There was no hint of the nice pink color I can see in your top photo; it started out as a more amber color and then as it darkened in the decanter it became browner.

It wasn't a disaster by any means though. I have another 2 bottles from the same source so I'll get another chance to compare.