NV Kopke White 10YO

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

NV Kopke White 10YO

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Modest nose that is quite limited, a touch of apricot. A lovely body with a slightly thick texture. Sweet and round, just starting to get a little cloying before the acidity turns up late to give a modest and balanced palate. Gentle aftertaste and finish. 86/100. 16-Apr-19. Opened 1 hour.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
LasseElmann
Cruz Ruby

Re: NV Kopke 10YO White

Post by LasseElmann »

I bought 2 bottles of this one recently and was somewhat disappointed with the first one.

However, I opened it and poured glasses right out of the bottle. Any suggestions on how I could possibly improve it the second time around? Maybe decanting?
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Decanting probably won't help much, though it certainly won't do any harm. I would suggest opening it perhaps 12 or 24hrs before drinking, and making sure it's cool - I'll usually keep in the fridge and let it warm slowly in the glass while drinking it.

Aside from that, it's likely just down to how much you like it or not. By chance I had some recently with an unusual food pairing which worked surprisingly well - Kopke 10yr white and... black pudding! Honestly, it was slightly odd but did sort of work.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

There is such a range of styles of White Port. I find more variation in White than I do in Ruby Port. The Kopke whites really work for me and my taste preferences, but that doesn't mean they'll work for everyone. I tend to open a bottle, pour a glass and put the rest of the bottle back into the fridge. I don't notice much difference in the flavours of the 10YO White over the 3-4 days it takes me to drink a bottle.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.