2017 Quinta do Vesuvio Capela

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 2017 Vesuvio Capela

Post by jdaw1 »

VC17: perfectly silky softness. A little heat mid palate, black pepper, blackberry, and a texture I described (tasted blind) as “magical”. My favourite.

Disappointed when it was revealed. I was hoping this would be cheap and widely available. Instead its magical texture will be tasted only rarely — by anybody!

The following evening, I having requested the remnants of the bottle before it was revealed, smoke on the nose. Palate very spicy, pepper and jalfrezi, becoming heat later, with dark plums late in the long finish. Excellent second night; I preferred it the first night.

There will not be a third-night tasting. :-(
NickA
Fonseca Bin 27

Re: 2017 Vesuvio Capela

Post by NickA »

D4: A slightly orangey note to the herby mixed fruit nose. A very intense concentrated palate entry. Citrus notes throughout. A deliciousness makes it difficult to split. Perfect balance with great cut and plenty of ripe tannin. Great length. Superb. My pick of the tasting. (Prior to being revealed as Capela de Vesuvio), This was the first one I sought out the next day.