1992 Smith Woodhouse

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

1992 Smith Woodhouse

Post by djewesbury »

Exciting, for being the first port I’ve had for too long and almost the first wine I’ve been able to smell after a long dreary head-cold. There is no sinutab in Sweden. And also for being the first record of this port ever having been tasted on TPF.

Very nice nose. Kirsch cherries, warm, a little marzipan or toasted almonds, well integrated alcohol, soft and rich, but not too roughly fruity: it’s developed nicely. Perhaps some cedar and cigar box, or liquorice, rounding it out. Really satisfying.

Body still quite fruit-forward but soft, and a little jellyish. The fruit quite pleasant, not too blocky (though a little), nicely dry, with light sour cherry bitterness... alcohol fairly well integrated, but a little detachment of fruit and spirit nonetheless. No long aftertaste, little in the way of tannin; perhaps less in the mouth than the nose. A good unfiltered LBV of the same age could give it a run for its money - it’s probably at its best right now. But a very good, velvety mouthful, quite unexpectedly served by the glass at Bar La Lune, an excellent wine bar in Gothenburg which favours Jura wines. 135kr a glass. The bottle was open perhaps 6 days (opened between Christmas and new year, but they were only open on Saturday I think) but kept in their wine-fridge. I didn’t expect much when offered it but was very pleasantly surprised.

This was first tasted after a traditional Valdobbiadene Prosecco, a vin jaune and a ‘Maximus’ from the Aveyron (I think a blend of Fer Servadou and Syrah). We then went elsewhere for dinner (roast pork and kale, thank you for asking) but I promised to return for a glass of the SW and made good on this.
IMG_7486 copy.jpg
IMG_7486 copy.jpg (33.9 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...