1975 Croft

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

1975 Croft

Post by winesecretary »

On first opening, the colour of a rose muscat rather than a port; I could read text through a tasting-sized sample of it so arguably 0% opaque.

Following 30 minute decant, hot nose with hint of dried apricot rehydrated in tea. Front palate of Turkish delight, a little chilli heat mid palate, followed by tea again, fading to a long warming light finish. At this stage, as a drink this is very much pleasanter than I was expecting but- if it could be described as a port- it shows as a port that should probably have been drunk twenty years ago.

+ 12 hours

Touch of sloes on the nose, and a hint of rose petal, indeed not unreminiscent of sloe gin on the mid palate; rosehip syrup late, with a warming orange finish- more distinctly Croft-like, perhaps, and indeed port-like, than it was 12 hours ago. I would go as far now as to describe this as rather nice wine. But I still question whether it would better have been drunk in the year 2000.

+24 hours

This has darkened a shade, now 20% opaque. Some rosemary and grapefruit on the nose. The rosehip syrup and sloe gin notes have faded. Wood dominates the palate- it's now more like a tawny than a vintage. Pleasant heat, with dried oranges, almost marmalade notes, on the finish.

This was purchased at auction a while back for really-not-very-much-money. I have one more bottle from the same lot which I look forward to drinking reasonably soon (next 12-18 months), and which I will aim to decant at lunchtime and refrigerate for drinking in the evening after dinner. I would not buy more, unless it was a bargain, because I cannot see that there is any upside for this wine. But if it was, say, £25 a bottle, and was to be consumed at a sitting with a couple of friends, I would much rather drink this than C21st SQVP.

Consumed 20/2/20-21/2/20