1994 Ramos Pinto

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1994 Ramos Pinto VP

Post by DRT »

Drunk on this evening...

Decanted 27 Hours
Dark cherry nose with a little heat. Very dark and completely opaque with very thick tears on the glass. Thick mouthfeel with lots of black fruits and enormous amounts of tannin. Very dry but long finish leaves the cheeks watering but the lips and tongue very dry. Very yummy but no-where near ready to show it's best.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Good to hear. I only had this port one time and it was a bit of a disappointment then. Could have been just closed.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB and I had it on Thursday night in Dublin accompanied by a Cockburn 47 and a Vesuvio 97. I felt that both this and the V97 suffered from the company as they were very tannic. That's why I decanted this so early but it is still a big tannic brute of a wine even after 29 hours.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Any chance of attempting an Uncle Tom score for the wine?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:Any chance of attempting an Uncle Tom score for the wine?
It is difficult, and somewhat irrelevant, with so much snot in my head but I would stick this in the 3rd quartile for immediate gratification with at least 20 years of good drinking ahead of it.

6-8
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I've spent the last hour and a half drinking beer and have gone back to this to see if it has changed. It hasn't.

If you have any of this wine in your cellar stick it away marked:

DO NOT OPEN UNTIL THE ROOTS ARE BACK FROM OMAN

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

+55 Hours
Dark cherry nose more pronounced now with no heat. Seems to have lost a little weight but is still incredibly tannic. The finish seems even drier than I remember it from all previous tastings. I enjoyed this better last night as it seemed smoother and thicker in the mouth. I still have quite a bit of this bottle left so may try to keep some for tomorrow to see where it goes, but no promises :roll:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

For one reason or the other I haven't been back to this decanter for 3 days. Since decanting, it has been stored at 12C in an open topped magnum ships decanter.

+5 Days
Nothing on the nose. Still thick and smooth with no heat to speak of. Some blackcurrant and aniceed and then, yes, you've guessed it, tannic dryness :roll:

The finish is not so long as before and the tannins not nearly so aggressive but they are still around. Based on the experience I have had with this bottle I would say: if you really feel that you have to open one now, drink it at around 24 hours from decanting.

Nice port and a definate keeper for 10 to 20 years.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn