2014 Ramos Pinto LBV Unfiltered

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2014 Ramos Pinto LBV Unfiltered

Post by akzy »

Tasted 4 hours after decanting.

Opaque and muddy red in the glass, not quite the rich burgundy I've been used to in my recent LBV tours. On the nose greeted by jammy summer fruits and a small citrus hit. In the mouth, I can't find any of the citrus notes I previously detected... My nose has failed me. I am however greeted by a combination of raspberries and chocolate - technically a good combo but something doesn't seem right here to make it the perfect match. A very smooth Port and relatively low acidity compared to some other LBVs of similar age. Not one for the long haul but pleasant drinking for now and the next 10 years (perhaps - truth be told, my experience is too limited to suggest that).

Maybe there will be enough for another note tomorrow but *looks at watch* it's Friday evening.

14/20

As an aside, I have found writing tasting notes has really helped me appreciate Port (and wine in general) more. To whoever on the forum suggested that I give it a proper try - thank you. I find myself trying to hunt for flavours and scents I previously wouldn't have. To those who don't post notes, give it a try!