NV Quinta da Pedra Alta White

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Quinta da Pedra Alta White

Post by JacobH »

2.jpg
2.jpg (398.95 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
From a 50cl bottle which is extremely attractive: clear frosted glass with a blind embossed label (which probably doesn’t show well in the photo). Pity about the terrible glass t-cork which seemed impossible to remove without taking some of the Port with it.

The blurb on the bottle almost exclusively recommends drinking this mixed in cocktails but it seems to me we should start by drinking it properly.

It’s a sweet white Port. It does not come across quite as sweet as a Lágrima but that might be do with the fruit balance rather than residual sugar quantity.

Colour is very, very pale: about as “white” as it comes for a Port.

Little on the nose; some mild tropical fruits.

In the mouth, there is sugar and a little soft tropic fruit. Perhaps a dragon fruit? The mouthfeel is quite extraordinary. It feels thick but not oily in a way I have not come across before. Very little alcohol. Short aftertaste; no tannins and little acidity.

The impression is light and refreshing. This is probably helped by its low ABV (18%). I just wish it had a bit more complexity. If they did a 10 YO version of this, I think it would be fabulous.