2004 Fonseca Guimaraens

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2004 Fonseca Guimaraens

Post by akzy »

Initial TN from pop and pour. Decanting produced a significant amount of sediment.

Very dark in the glass - whilst its quite a young fella', didn't expect it to be this dark. On the nose greeted by quite a lot of fumes (to be expected after immediate opening). Sifting through the noise, hints of blackcurrants, perhaps a bit of tobacco in there. In the mouth, it’s a lovely smooth Port with only the smallest hit of acidity. Tobacco is the most prominent flavour here, along side dark chocolate and a smidgen of vanilla. Surprisingly long lasting SQVP for the price. I’m looking forward to trying more over the coming days to see how it evolves.
akzy

Re: 2004 Fonseca Guimaraens

Post by akzy »

+24 hours

The nose remains similar to yesterday just a lot less spirity. It is a pinch more acidic today, certainly not unpleasant however. Today in the mouth I'm picking up fairly intense strawberry jam for the initial hit, soon tapering out to the satisfying tobacco I recognise yesterday.

Will likely have a good bit left for a day or two.
akzy

Re: 2004 Fonseca Guimaraens

Post by akzy »

+48 hours

It's starting to die off now a little now. There's still a nice amount of flavour and a bit of heat left, but it's certainly peaked. Still lingers an awful long time however.

I stare at the decanter and hear a faint whisper "end me". I oblige.

16.5/20 - Thoroughly enjoyed it and still got a good bit to go in its shelflife.