1977 Kopke Colheita (bottled 1995)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

1977 Kopke Colheita (bottled 1995)

Post by winesecretary »

24 hours decant, served from 'fridge but then allowed to warm up.

Golden reddish brown. Great legs.

Aged colheita port- rather more aged than the amount of time in cask would suggest.

With some air and warmth, hint of varnish. Some other woody notes. Nutty.

Taste, after some discussions with SCD and GEE in particular, concluded to be best described as like an orange stuffed with cloves left over after you've taken it out of the port punch, then blowtorched to caramelise the orange peel.

Growing on me. Long. Very good wine but not, I think, as stellar as the same wine bottled in 2002 which SCD has tried and loves, or as the note by AV suggests the 2006 bottling was 10 years ago.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1977 Kopke Colheita Bottled 1995

Post by JacobH »

I think the bottle-aged tawny port (a sort of DIY garrafeita) is a very fine thing and is too readily overlooked due to all the marketing about tawny port being sold ready-to-drink.
best described as like an orange stuffed with cloves left over after you've taken it out of the port punch, then blowtorched to caramelise the orange peel
Excellent description! (But, for future reference, it’s much better if caramalise the orange stuffed with cloves before making the punch by roasting it in the oven...)