2011 Dow LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

2011 Dow LBV

Post by winesecretary »

90% purple-red juice.

+ 30 mins

Smells like a fairly angular supercharged Cabernet with loads of pepper. Aggressive tannin and acidity. Fades too quickly to enable processing of the fruit flavours on the palate. Completely disjointed. Abandoned as a drink, as not pleasant.

+ 24 hours

Star anise and plums and chocolate on nose. Some VA. Palate fairly straightforward sweet port majoring on poached plum. Still some angularity, doesn't taste 'ready'. Very drying finish, still fairly warm, and fairly short, with some confected orange late. A hint of blackcurrant arriving right at the end. Not great port. But better than yesterday.

+ 72 hours

The last third of the bottle relegated to going into the ragu. Only the second non-flawed bottle of port I have failed to finish since 2010. A bottle of Sainsbury's TTD 2000 (excellent) opened instead.

I won't buy more. When I can get a Niepoort 2015 LBV for similar money that pushes my buttons, it would be foolish to do so.

If you have some and are going to open this, please give it 24 hours before drinking.

Consumed 05/08/20 and 06/08/20 (with co-taster) and re-tasted on 08/08/20.