1994 Ramos Pinto

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1994 Ramos Pinto vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Purchased from Berry Brothers in Dublin, who double decanted this for us the morning before our offline.

A deep and dark red with a centre that was totally opaque, no purple on the rim. A wonderful fruity nose, with masses of blackcurrantes and a slight touch of wood smoke. Smooth and balanced entry with ripe fruits in a dry wrapper. Still lots of tannins in the mouth but there is so much fruit that the tannins are not allowed to dominate. There is also a good dollop of acidity in the mix that between all of this I would forecast that this wine will have a super future. Swallowing doesn't stop the flow of fruit flavours that swirl around in the mouth, but these do slowly change to a dark chocolate. (DT detected aniseed.)

This will be a fabulous port and will be better in 20 years. I won't open another for 10 years if I can avoid it. 5/6+ (5/7 looking forward 20 years) or 87/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.