1995 Fonseca Guimaraens

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1995 Fonseca Guimaraens

Post by jdaw1 »

Fonseca Guimaraens 1995, sold by Pacific Street Liquors of 220 S Davis St, Telluride, Colorado, for $50 (less 10% discount for wearing Rangers cufflinks). This port is of interest to me as I have been offered some magnums of it.

No formal notes were taken, but a dark beast, devoid of obvious nose (at an altitude of ninety-five hundred feet), and tasting strongly of heavy black fruits. But the mid-palate has a powerful and unpleasant astringency, or bitterness, that was still there two days after decanting. I couldn’t work it out. Was this a flawed thing? Or is it s a huge thing needing decades more. I just don’t know.

TPF lacks notes on FG95: have others any experience they would be willing to share?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Julian,
I've had it a couple of times, and while I don't have any notes with me at the moment, I have really enjoyed it and would buy some no problem. Maybe it was the altitude that was playing a little havoc on the taste buds??? Can't say I've ever drank wine or Port at that high an alitude.
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Re: 1995 Fonseca Guimaraens

Post by ajfeather »

I had a couple of glasses from a bottle that had been open for 2 days yesterday and it was drinking well. My recollection: very dark, little nose, lovely fruit, the alcohol is well integrated and not too hot, quite chalky tannins and quite a long finish. I would buy again.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1995 Fonseca Guimaraens

Post by RonnieRoots »

I've tasted it a couple of times at trade fairs and remember that I was very positive about it.