2012 Quinta da Revolta

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Altrurian
Cheap Ruby

2012 Quinta da Revolta

Post by Altrurian »

Purchased at Tech Hut (sic), Rua Catarina 606, Porto, for €34.95

There is no passage of light at the wine’s center, but more than a smidgen of clarity at its rim. Discernible color is limited to a uniform deep red. Cathedral windows fall rather quickly into picturesque ruin.

It could be that the want of viscosity and narrowness of palette influences a perception of simplicity in flavor. But this is far from saying the wine doesn’t bear analysis. There is a whisper of tartness to it. A strawberry-like sweetness is there, to be sure (but nothing luxuriant). A soupçon of alcoholic heat rears up at the end (but one keeps hoping for more).

[Note: On the second day, there is a certain pleasurable complication in flavor, expressing itself as bitter chocolate. Hear, hear!]

As I continue delving into corner-store vintage ports, I have to say this one heightens my opinion of the 2008 Quinta do Crasto of a few days ago. Whether this is a function of the wine’s relative age, or some other aspect of its manufacture and being, I am too much of a neophyte to pronounce. Regardless, I want to give this wine its due. It is a boon companion of an afternoon—make that two afternoons!—and that counts for a lot.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: 2012 Quinta da Revolta

Post by MigSU »

Wait, Tech Hut in Rua de Santa Catarina? Isn't that a phone repair shop? They sell wine as well?
Altrurian
Cheap Ruby

Re: 2012 Quinta da Revolta

Post by Altrurian »

They do indeed! And you’re right, “Reparaçao de Telemóveis” it says on their card. With this purchase, I might have exhausted their stock of vintage ports, but a fair selection of tawnies and rubies remains.