1965 Taylor Vargellas

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1965 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

This bottle was actually opened yesterday to cellebrate my 43rd birthday. Its significance to that event should be self explanitory to anyone who can do subtraction :wink:

The cork was removed intact using the "push it in and pull it out with a semi-inflated plastic bag" method. Very cool and now my favourite method of cork extraction for VPs of 25+ years.

On decanting
Light pinkish red colour. Not much on the nose and incredibly hot, masking all other flavours. What a great start :?

+4 Hours
From memory, not a note as I didn't take one last night. Stewed fruits on the nose. Much darker than at decanting and now a nice brick red. A good thick mouthfeel with anicede and chocolate. Very warming but no longer hot.

+24 Hours
Not much change from how I remember it last night apart from a hint of oranges coming through on the palate.

This is holding out remarkably well for an SQVP of this age which was rated as the worst produced in that vintage.

The score is, of course, 4-3
(last year's Malvedos scored 4-2 :wink: )
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Picture of the bottle. Oporto bottled and purchased from Ancient & Modren Wines in 2005. The label is painted onto the bottle. It looks like it has been spray painted through a cut-out template. I suspect this was a late release from the Quinta as I have others with older plain paper labels but exactly the same grey wax seal.

Picture of the cork, which may look like it says 1945, but it doesn't. The 6 has been branded onto of a flaw in the structure of the cork.

Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I filled a 1/4 bottle last night and put it in the fridge. Poured into two glasses this evening and allowed to warm for 30 minutes.

+48 Hours
This just keeps getting darker. The mouthfeel was lighter than last night but the wine is now very smooth with no heat whatsoever. I think it was better last night but it is still a very nice glass of port tonight, so I put the other glass back in the 1/4 bottle and back in the fridge for tomorrow 88)

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn