NV Croft Distinction Porto Special Reserve

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

NV Croft Distinction Porto Special Reserve

Post by SushiNorth »

A nice port of indescribable flavor, literally: it has a hint of smokiness to it, and a touch of brown sugar and boiled raisins, but beyond that it tastes like slightly aged port. It's nice, but nothing special, and nothing about it stands out. It's nose is pretty vibrant, but the tail is mostly heat. It has a little tannin to it, but less than (say) a Malbec. Texture is slightly gritty in a thin suspension.

Fridge time: This port held up in the fridge and did not perceptibly deteriorate for over a week.

NV 5 of 10, for absolute averageness.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

The low-end Croft rubies up to the LBV are all acceptable. I wouldn't buy them at full price but as we can often get them for a fiver there is no need.

I know what you mean by "gritty".
Port is basically a red drink
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

I noticed something interesting about the croft distinction SR (and figured this was as appropriate a place for it as any):

The T-stopper, made of cork, was bowed outward. I checked the bottle and found that, lo, the space at the top of the neck where the cork sits curved slightly inward as it reached the top. Has anyone else seen this on port? It certainly seemed an innovative way to ensure a reliable seal for the bottle.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've never seen that on anything other than vintage port - and then only on older bottles. Bottles (of vintage port) these days seem to have slightly tapered necks which are narrower at the top of the neck than at the base of the neck.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.