1975 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1975 Graham's Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

First bottle opened from 8 purchased from http://www.uvine.com. Labels have worn off (only 1 bottle has traces remaining, but all are embossed bottles "Graham's 1975" with embossed lead capsules with new style IDVP labels beneath. No signs of leakage. I am assuming Oporto bottled and perhaps a late release from Graham's cellar.

On Decanting
Came off sediment very easily. Typical Graham's smell on decanting - yummy. Nice dark colour in the decanter but significantly lighter appearance in the glass. Lots of fruit smell from the glass with a little heat. First sip, very thick and warming - stewed plums with dry tannin gripping the cheaks then WHACK - the heat punches you in the throat. Finish is very long but becomes quite bitter towards the end.

+3 Hours
Still has that nice thick and warming entry but the heat is now taking over everything else, although that mule-like kick in the throat has thankfully disappeared. I think this one needs patience so I'll have to stay up quite late to see how it evolves - only in the interest of science, of course

+5 Hours
Has started to put on some colour in the glass. Alchohol has now faded from everything but the finish. Cherry fruit starting to come through and still that thick warm feeling. Getting better.

+24 Hours
Now considerably darker with more fruit on the nose. Lighter in the mouth than yesterday but not a bad thing. Raspberry cream and dark chocolate with very little heat. This is completely different to the wine I tasted last night and is now a very nice VP. Will try very hard to keep some for tomorrow