1988 Taylor Vargellas

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

1988 Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas

Post by SushiNorth »

This is from the half bottles i picked up a while ago and was concerned about shipping temperature. This bottle was also used for the Metal Coffee Filter Decanting Experiment

+0 Heavy wood smoke, lots of heat, cherries and a hint of pepper. Beyond that, not very earth-shattering of a port. Plenty of sediment thrown.

+10 mins Wood Smoke has disappeared.

+40 mins A grapefruit flavor has emerged

+1:30 hrs The fruit has faded, replaced by a hint of chocolate
+1:50 hrs Blackberries and butterscotch added to the chocolate

I'd like to leave this one longer, so at this point the half of a half bottle left is being returned to its (cleaned) bottle, i'm closing it up (air and all), and headed to a mtg.

+8 hrs about the same as before, more of the blackberries with a caramel flavor. Some evergreen and mint arrived late.

Overall: 6/10 VP. I wasn't wow'd by this port. It was good, but I expect big things from a bottle of VP. If this were a special reserve it would have been great but it was just a little above mediocre for VP.
Last edited by SushiNorth on 06:01 Sat 12 Apr 2008, edited 4 times in total.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Da bottle:

Da label:

Note the bubbling under the enclosure, this is from the cork being pushed out a little by cold temperatures during shipping. The wine was not cooked.

Here's the cork from an angle, you can see it slightly out of the bottle and deformed at the top (pressure against the plastic enclosure)

Guaranteed!

Filled to that blue line i put on the white guarantia paper glue (low neck)

Deep dark color on the cork

Vintage Port (cork):

QTA. Vargellas 1988 (cork):

Color (metal filter):