1992 Niepoort

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

1992 Niepoort Vintage

Post by Frederick Blais »

After a disapointing bottle 2 years ago, I wanted to drink this 2nd bottle. This time, it was a winner. It is always surprising to buy from the same source 2 bottles of Port that are finally totally different.

Clear ruby color with a slight tawny rim. It took around 30 mins to wash the heat noticeable on the nose uppon decanting. The nose is complex, with flavours of ripe plums, licorice, cinnamon, candied figs and spicy cigars notes. On the palate, sweet candied figs flavours are dominant, the cinnamon and tobacco too, acidity is low leaving a viscous mid palate of good concentration with ripe strawberries, tannins are melted, much balance and a long finish on licorice and spicy figs. 17/20+

This port is starting its maturity plateau with presence of secondary flavours and tamed tannins. It should drink very well for another decade or more. I was suspicious about this Port but this 2nd bottle convince me it is possible to find good ones on the market.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Fred,

Interesting tasting note. I don't own any of the 1992 Niepoort but it's good to see a port from 1992 that gets a good review.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.