1985 Quinta da Romaneira

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

1985 Quinta da Romaneira

Post by Rubby »

This is one of the bottles I acquired when I just got interested in Port. I clearly had no knowledge of long-term and mid-term yet. At the time I just thought that it was dead cheap for a VP this age. I see this as a beginners mistake which only helps in the learning process. I must say I build up quite a bit of experience with 'downhill' Ports by now! :-) :cry:

decant +1:
Large amount of lumpy sediment.
Transparant, strawberry red colour, almost like a Rosé. Nose of strawberries, marzipan and some cherries. The same flavours on the palette with marzipan taking the lead (!) and maybe some red berries added. Short aftertaste with (surprisingly) green grapes added. Alcohol very much integrated.
decant +2:
The color is going a bit darker. On the nose and the palette the marzipan is becoming more and more prominent. This is a new experience for me.

decant +24:
After a night in the fridge, the alcohol seems to be a bit more prominent. Otherwise than that no change.

I didn't have high expectations of this port, I was already warned that it could be way past it's prime. It clearly was, but the marzipan factor still gave it something interesting.
I think the 'downhill' ports are all eliminated now.
You learn as you go.
Frequently Ask Questions