NV Dow Crusted 2000

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2000 Dow Crusted

Post by JacobH »

The cork came out cleanly and the bottle decanted with a reasonable amount of sediment. The port is a dark red, going raspberry-pink on the edge.

I didn't take a note last night, but it seems pretty unchanged now compared to then:

24 Hours. Not a great deal on the nose. A little red fruit.

In the mouth, there’s quite a lot of spirit. There’s also an odd, dry sensation, with perhaps a little Summer fruit. Quite a bit of heat in the back of the throat. It’s all fairly low-key, though: I’ve drunk most of a glass whilst trying to find something remarkable to write about…

I’m not terribly convinced by this bottle. I don't think it's up to the standards of the LBVs, despite being priced a band higher. Considering that they would have had some decent years available to put into the blend, I'm disappointed that it’s not more engaging. That said, the last Crusted I had (a Churchill 1987) wasn't terribly impressive either, so perhaps I just don't get on with this type of wine…

-Jacob