1977 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1977 Taylor's Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

Tasted at the July 2 1977 horizontal.

Fairly light in colour, sort of transparant red with some bricking around the edges. Delicate, sweet strawberry on the nose, with not much else going on. On the palate, light, with again strawberry, cranberries, blackcurrant and liquorice. Slightly spirity with a dry, rather empty finish. And just when you think it ends rather dull, it hits you with a lovely, full finish. A good port, if a little light, and overly aged. My guess: Delaforce. 86 points, disappointing for Taylor.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Pale centre, rose coloured, weak rim. Lovely toffee/marzipan nose over fresh cranberries but also with obvious alcohol and aniseed. Dry entry with little fruit showing - very secondary in character. More fruit starts to show in the mid-palate with some nice layers of complexity. Very hollow aftertaste initially, just nothing happens, but then a small amount of flavours start to appear and stay around for a while. I guessed that this was the Delaforce and was astonished at how weak a bottle it was when revealed to be the Taylor. 84/100.
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 10:05 Thu 28 Aug 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1977 Taylor's Vintage Port

Post by g-man »

We had the same problem with our 77 taylor tasting a few months back, we decanted ours for 4-5 hours I believe.

how long did you decant yours?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

g-man wrote:We had the same problem with our 77 taylor tasting a few months back, we decanted ours for 4-5 hours I believe.

how long did you decant yours?
I believe it was decanted for about 10 hours. Previous bottles of Taylor's 1977 all needed more than a day in the decanter to come together. I don't think this particular bottle would have gained anything from additional time in the decanter.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

To make searching easier, I've copy/pasted LadyR's tasting notes of this port, as originally posted here:
Taylor ‘77
Light rosehip colour with orange hue. Very alcholic nose, lacking in floral and fruity notes. Taste is thin, empty and pale, mainly hot with hint of liquorice. Finish kicks in after quite some time, but besides some coffee tones, not much is going on.
This port has aged without developing any tones that shows maturation, hopefully it’s an off-bottle.
85 pts