1977 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1977 Warre's Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

Tasted at the July 2 1977 horizontal.

Very light in colour. Hot and spirity on the nose. Cabbage. Taste of light strawberries. Sweetish but very hot. Thick mouthfeel, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot going on. Not bad for drinking, but not really special too. Could be that it needed more time in the decanter to get rid of the heat though. My guess: Delaforce. 86 points.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Deeper colour with some sediment still in the wine. Oaling on the rim. A lovely open nose reminding me of Canadian raisin pie and that lovely combination of warm pastry, rehydrated raisins and golden syrup. Very sweet in the mouth and a surprising amount of tannins still showing. Pleasant fruit but huge amounts of nutmeg and pepper add some spiciness and welcome complexity. The pepper and nutmeg showed even more clearly on the long aftertaste. A pleasant enough wine but a little simple and straightforward. I guessed the Delaforce. 85/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1977 Warre's Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

To make searching easier, I've copy/pasted LadyR's tasting notes of this port, as originally posted here:
Warre ‘77
Very light brown with orange hue. Hot on the nose with some cabbage smell. Thick glycerol taste, with bit of liquorice and spicy notes. Too easy, simple and fat... not much going on.
85 pts