1997 Smith Woodhouse

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1997 Smith Woodhouse

Post by JacobH »

Transposted from :ftlop: (with a typo correction)
JacobH wrote: Extracted from the Virtual Tasting Room. Opened May 2008

As should be expected, the cork came out easily in one piece, and there was only a little sediment.

8+ Hours. Surprisingly large on the nose, but aromatic rather than powerful. Very fruity, with, if it is not too clichéd, lots of plums and a bit of cherry. In the mouth, there is a nice peppery heat (though this does obscure some of the other flavours), followed by more fruit, which eventually produce a little cherry in the finish. The sugar is not particularly obvious and feels very well dissolved.

+24 Hours. Not much change, though it has mellowed somewhat. Now an extremely easy drinker.

I think, overall, this is an entirely pleasant VP, though not quite interesting or exciting enough to warrant drinking again in the next few years.

I tend not to score bottles, only give them a rating for whether I should acquire another. This gets a “P† for “possibly†.
There’s also a comment from Lamont Huxley to a similar effect.

-Jacob