1994 Skeffington

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1994 Skeffington vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Note that this is the shipper who provides the port for the Davy Own Label, which has a separate tasting note in the index.

Shipped under the Skeffington label. Red, but showing evidence of maturity and some brown in the colour. Nose a touch stewed (ARK mentioned bottle stink). Very sweet entry with syrupy redcurrants dominating over stewed fruits. Good acidity levels. Tannins are well faded but obvious. Initially very hot on the aftertaste and the heat is the most noticeable factor. When the identity of this bottle was revealed, it was clear that this was a heat damaged bottle, probably stored somewhere too hot for part of its life, this did not compare well with the previous bottle of Skeffington 1994 (under the Davy's label) that I have had. 83/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Fair colour, clearly showing some bricking, but still rather young. Slightly alcoholic and vegetal nose (fennel), that also shows some deep cherry notes. Very spicy, hot and hard. Sweet, with some deep red (stewed) fruit. Hot finish. A difficult to enjoy port. It needs more time, definitely, but the vegetal notes and the stewed fruit might also indicate that it's been maltreated somewhere in its life. But since this is my first Skeffington 1994 I would have to try another bottle to be sure.