1967 Taylor Vargellas

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
benread
Niepoort 1977

1967 Taylors Quinta de Vargellas

Post by benread »

Shared with Derek and Christopher at a small offline 19th August in the "office" at TCP. Decanted around 5.30pm (believed) and consumed from around +2 to +5 hours. In our defence it was 1 of 3 bottles so we were not slacking!

This was quite fiery and hot to start, with an almost tawny edge to the pale red colour. Not much fruit on the noise but a very enjoyable wine. In my opinion, slightly weaker than the Grahams 77 that we tasted alongside, but not much. It opened up a lot as time wore on suggesting it needed a longer decanting time.

To sum it up for me, I am not too unhappy at having another one of these still, just not sure how long it will last!

No doubt Derek will share his thoughts!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1967 Taylors Quinta de Vargellas

Post by DRT »

This was a very enjoyable bottle and was holding up very well for a 41 year old SQVP. It was, as Ben says, a little firey at first but nothing overpowering and it did seem to blow off as the night went on. Quite light in the mouth but very smooth and drinkable. I think I remember this being a delicious as an accompanyment to the chocolate pudding.

Thanks to Ben for dringing this along.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1967 Taylors Quinta de Vargellas

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've had 2 or 3 bottles of this in the past year or so and all have been quite hot and like you described. I think its best days are behind it and its time to drink up as they won't get any better.