1992 Ramos Pinto LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1992 Ramos Pinto LBV (unfiltered)

Post by uncle tom »

One of five bottles bought earlier this year.

Decanted cleanly off it's sediment, and immediately approachable.

Very sound wine, nicely mature with great depth of colour, and showing much better than recent VP encounters from this vintage.

Good to drink now; I see no reason to either hasten or delay my consumption of the other bottles.

This could easily be passed off as a VP, so excellent value and worth looking out for.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: 1992 Ramos Pinto LBV (unfiltered)

Post by benread »

uncle tom wrote:One of five bottles bought earlier this year.

Decanted cleanly off it's sediment, and immediately approachable.

Very sound wine, nicely mature with great depth of colour, and showing much better than recent VP encounters from this vintage.

Good to drink now; I see no reason to either hasten or delay my consumption of the other bottles.

This could easily be passed off as a VP, so excellent value and worth looking out for.
Tom
Were these 5 bottles found in a retailer or at an auction? If retailer, can you divulge where?

Thank you.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

benread wrote: Were these 5 bottles found in a retailer or at an auction?
Tom+Retailer = Matter+Anti-matter or Oil+Water or JDAW+Ruby Port

Just a hunch, but I suspect these were bought at auction for a few pence each :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Just a hunch
Hunch correct - part of a mixed lot that included a few odd bottles of RP VP as well.

Several merchants list the more recent RP LBV's, but they are retailed at around the £15 mark, which is too heavy for my liking.

Not a lot of LBV comes to auction, but when it does, the big name wines tend to sell for around £6-£7 each, and the less well known for £5-£6. Age counts for nothing up to 25 years, and unfiltered wines carry little premium.

I am adequately stocked on LBV at the moment, but I'll carry on putting in low, long shot bids when the opportunity arises - for the common good! :D

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill