1978 Quinta do Noval

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1978 Quinta do Noval vintage port

Post by DRT »

A gift from Simon Lisle some time ago. Opened tonight because I noticed it had started to leak. Here are some pictures first:

"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1978 Quinta do Noval vintage port

Post by DRT »

On decanting
A very light colour when decanting but, as the picture above shows, very bright and attractive in the glass. The nose is caramel, like a tawny. Light entry but it seems to thicken considerably in the mouth. Fully mature, and beyond, with anicede and dried fruits. Smooth and not unpleasant in any way but nothing to grab the attention. The finish is quite long and slightly bitter at the end.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

+4 hours
Darker and now has a sweeter nose. Heavier and more substantial than it was on decanting. No significant difference in the flavours but now has a little warmth that adds an interesting dimension. The finish is long and very sweet. This isn't bad stuff at all. At auction you would pick this up for not much money and it would make a very good quaffing juice right now and for the next 3-5 years. I don't think it has a long life ahead but it probably never did.

Score: 5-3
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

+28 hours
Still a very nice glass of port but now a little flabby and light. On this showing I would recommend finishing it off on the first day or putting half in the fridge at the time of decanting.
Ernest H. Cockburn