1975 Quarles Harris

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1975 Quarles Harris vintage port

Post by uncle tom »

The Symington's 'second XI' are noticeable by their absence for the '75 vintage. Although declared, I have never recorded an auction lot for Smith Woodhouse, Gould Campbell or Quarles Harris, except for this one lone bottle of QH that I secured at a local Christmas auction last year.

Being a bottle from the Sym's least favoured house, from the least favoured declared vintage of recent years, and of no provenance; I decided this was one to drink sooner rather than later.

Decanted a few minutes ago - for the vintage, a surprisingly good ruby colour. Decanted very cleanly.

First sip - no bottle stink, a light pleasant nose. On the palate, a light but very pleasant wine, with a good finish and absolutely no fire.

So far, very much better than expected!

More anon..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1975 Quarles Harris vintage port

Post by RonnieRoots »

Thanks for the note Tom. I'm always interested to see how the '75's are doing. Last year I found a Gould Campbell 1975. Note here.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

D + 5 hours

This is a lovely, perfectly mature wine, with a rather cheeky, fruity, character. After a year that has so far given me a little more than my fair share of disappointments, I am now enjoying my second unexpected delight in less than ten days.

The nose is still modest, (but nothing could top that Dow '60) but on the eye the wine is perfection, and on the palate it is a delight.

On the de-merit front, it is a little bit weak, but that is really splitting hairs. This easily tops my last '75 (Warre) and a mile ahead of the '75 Dow. I must re-visit the Graham '75 before too long, but this wine would certainly be a match, and possibly more than a match, for the G75, which I have previously ranked as the best of the bunch.

Will re-visit and score tomorrow

Tom

PS Ronnie - I clocked your note with interest. There are a few hits for GC75 if you trawl wine-searcher, but nothing at all (even on worldwide setting) for SW or QH - very odd....
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I wonder if the Symingtons are sitting on a stash of these for which they may think there is no market? It may be worth an email and a modest shared purchase by a few TPFers, at least those who are prepared to believe that a 1975 VP can be enjoyable?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Good point Derek, a very casual enquiry might be worthwhile... :D

Tom
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Which begs a broader question: they and others might have many stashes of many things. At a reasonable price, we would surely take one or several cases of each.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

A glass from the same bottle given to me by Tom this evening when I met him on my way to my hotel at Stansted airport:

Darker than I would have expected. Very brown, but that might be the light in this room. A nice weight and quite smooth. Chocolate and oranges, no red fruit flavours coming to me. Fully mature but still hanging together. A little heat at first but this fades away quickly. The finish is quite long and mouthwatering.

This is no stunner but I agree it would make an excellent quaffer at the right price.

Thanks Tom :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

DRT wrote:A glass from the same bottle given to me by Tom this evening when I met him on my way to my hotel at Stansted airport:

Darker than I would have expected. Very brown, but that might be the light in this room. A nice weight and quite smooth. Chocolate and oranges, no red fruit flavours coming to me. Fully mature but still hanging together. A little heat at first but this fades away quickly. The finish is quite long and mouthwatering.

This is no stunner but I agree it would make an excellent quaffer at the right price.

Thanks Tom :wink:

Derek
Will you make your flight this time?!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Yes. I decided that an early morning flight with Mr A would be a disaster waiting to happen so we are booked on the 18:30. That said, we are meeting at the airport at 17:00 so will have to set a reminder on the phone to get out of the bar and head for the gate by 18:25 at the latest :twisted: :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Derek's sample may have been getting a little tired by the time he got to sample it; it was showing it's best after about 24 hours.

To score:

For immediate gratification this just about makes the top quartile, so an 8

Where's it going? I reckon this is on it's plateau, but will probably be showing a little decline in another decade.

So score 8-7

Tom
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Do you really think there is a stash of this somewhere?
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote: 21:57 Mon 15 Sep 2008I wonder if the Symingtons are sitting on a stash of these for which they may think there is no market? It may be worth an email and a modest shared purchase by a few TPFers, at least those who are prepared to believe that a 1975 VP can be enjoyable?
What happened? Was an enquiry made?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1975 Quarles Harris

Post by DRT »

Not that I recall.
Ernest H. Cockburn