2000 Sandeman Vau

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

2000 Sandeman Vau Vintage

Post by Axel P »

You never know everything about Port: I was always thinking that the Sandeman Vau Vintage is a Single Quinta Vintage Port of Sandeman's Quinta do Vau. As Port-advertising reaches Germany on very rare occasions (Sandeman's Vau - the Vintage for now), I was told by the german importeur for Sandeman that Vau is not a SQVP. It is Vintage Port that is made to be drunk sooner than the "real ones", meaning it is not a tannic-acidity-monster than some of the others in a young stage and is not made to go through the reduction phase, that most of the 2000s are in right now.

I tried myself and found out:

Deep red in color, with a fairly light concentration. Complex Bouquett with plums and rasberries, alcohol and a very pleasant sweetness. Touch of pepper. In the mouth few tannins and acidity, fruit (mostly plums), good concentration. Fruity aftertaste with medium length. 17

Not a blockbuster of the 2000s (but also not pricing-wise) but a very seducive Port to drink now and for the next 10 years.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2000 Sandeman Vau Vintage & Background

Post by Andy Velebil »

you are correct, this is made in a drink now format but will reward mid-term cellaring. The only draw back to the Vau is the price, at least here in the states. i can often find a top quality unfiltered LBV that is around the same quality for much less than the Vau.
TBird
Fonseca LBV

Post by TBird »

i was just eyeing these at $31.99(marked down from $39.99). i checked wine-searcher and that seems to be about the lowest price available. worthy?
you've got a friend in cheeses
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

My favorite is the 1997 version, then the 1999. I've had the 2000 but it's been a few years and I need to find my notes on it.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Mike (T-bird),

That is a very solid price and the 2000 Vau Vintage Port by Sandeman is a good VP that will drink well for another 15 years or so. It had all of the stuffing as a youngster and its strongpoint, was balance. Go for it!
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

We were picking up magnums of the 97 for $60 here in NY. I've got two, and it's good to know they should be drunk in 5-7 years, not 20.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

SushiNorth wrote: We were picking up magnums of the 97... . ...it's good to know they should be drunk in 5-7 years, not 20.
This obviously does not count for 1997. I'd say it will rather peak in 10-15 years. However I will not touch my bottles for some years.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Best to leave the Vau to the quirky oddities of Port. Trumpted as the bright new thing, it failed. I don't think they've tried one for nearly a decade and George and the gang have no plans to reintroduce it as far as I am aware.

It was a great idea, but just didn't work. The fact that it is maintaining a relatively high price has more to do with the antiquated pricing policy and retention of stocks by the Port Industry, rather than the value of the product. Let the salesmen spin, and walk on by.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Conky wrote:It was a great idea, but just didn't work. The fact that it is maintaining a relatively high price has more to do with the antiquated pricing policy and retention of stocks by the Port Industry, rather than the value of the product. Let the salesmen spin, and walk on by.
Sandeman has always been pretty good at the sales bit; I rate the design of the Vau bottles pretty highly: