2003 Barros LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

2003 Barros LBV

Post by JohninNYC »

Greetings all! Finally coming out of wine hibernation. :-) I hope sometime soon to meet you personally in NYC. I am in the thick of pursuing the WSET Wine Diploma program and have been particularly interested in dessert wines. I wanted to share with you my comments on a Port I really enjoyed:

LBV 2003 Barros Porto

Its aromas are fruity with fresh raspberry, red cherry, plums and white peppercorn, all of which I picked up again when tasting it.
I would consider this to be medium sweet (rather than purely sweet due to its slightly dry finish) with medium plus intensity, medium tannin level, medium body, and medium flavor intensity. For a fortified wine, I would say its alcohol level did not feel as high as in other ports.

Assessment of quality
The quality is good because of its complexity of flavors of fruit and spice. The flavors are well rounded. The body, flavor intensity, and length create a balanced wine.
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: LBV Barros 2003

Post by JacobH »

Hi, John. Welcome to :tpf:!

Thanks for posting a note on this. I recently bought some and have been wondering what it is like. (I don’t know Barros’ LBVs at all!) Was it filtered?
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

Re: LBV Barros 2003

Post by JohninNYC »

Yes, this one was filtered.
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin