2003 Quinta do Portal

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
morteno
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

2003 Portal VP

Post by morteno »

Tasted on October 25, 2008. More details here.

Having hear so many good things about this port I was a little biased before tasting it. It had to be very, very good. Unfortunately, it wasn't that good, although I much enjoyed it. I guess I missed the train and had it a couple of years too late.

Decanted for about 10 hours. Maybe longer decanting is needed to open it up? I can't see it could hurt.

Anyhow, closed nose and taste with fruits and pepper (a typical sign for Portal's ruby style ports). Color not black/dark purple any more and this is explained by the massive amounts of sediment. A bit dry. I liked it, but I would rather have drunk Portal's 2004 or 2005 SQVP! Note to self: I should do a tasting of these three side by side ...

I will keep all my remaining bottles unopened for perhaps 5-10 years before drinking any as that may help it open up and become more interesting. For drinking now it has a wrong QPR.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 2003 Portal VP

Post by DRT »

I tasted this in Nov 2005 and recall it to be a beast of a wine with tons of fruit. From your description it seems to have closed down and your plan to leave them alone for 5-10 years seems like a good idea to me.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Re: 2003 Portal VP

Post by ac-fast »

I agree, the Portal 03 has gone to sleep - in 2005 and 2006 it was better than now - last time I tasted it was 2 month ago. Sept. And i was disepointet. Ill try to leave them in the cellar for 5 or more years.

(sorry again my bad english)
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.