1995 Tesco

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1995 Tesco

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

From the label, the wine was selected and bottled for Tesco by Quarles Harris. Decanted about 12 hours before this note was written. (Pretty rough when tasted immediately after decanting.) Significant amounts of sediment left in the bottle, few large lumps but plenty of finer sludge.

Rich, ruby red with a pale rim. Surprsisingly developed colour for a 10 year old wine. None of the youthful purple seen that I've seen in other '95 ports. Strange and very subdued nose. Tarry notes, maybe a hint of mushrooms that caused me to worry if this wine was corked. Bit of VA, very little fruit. Initially smooth and sweet into the mouth, then the supporting acidity comes through on the side of the tongue. Sweetness and acidity are nicely balanced. Not a lot of fruit on the initial taste but dusty cherries and chocolate come through on the midpalate. I think this is slightly corked, but not so much as to make the wine undrinkable. Length is very good - 30 to 40 seconds. Sweetness and fruit stays in the mouth. Aftertaste doesn't develop, just slowly fades away. Overall, a simple but well balanced wine with a lovely mouth-feel. Good value for money at £13 a bottle and a good nomination for a ""house"" VP.

87/100. Tasted 30/1/06 and decanted 12 hours.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.