1983 Kopke

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1983 Kopke

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Very mildly TCA tainted, just detectable on the nose and palate. Very soft and sodden cork. Decanted cleanly off some very hard sediment stuck onto the side of the bottle. A slightly hazy version of the previous bottle, burnt toffee colour with a pale orange rim. TCA on the nose, over a minty toned candy floss. Lots of toffee and burnt raisins in the mouth, pleasant enough and with some surprising complexity of seville oranges and bitter marmalade coming through with air. Unexpectedly enjoyable and repaying 2-3 hours in the decanter. Swallowing releases a big burst of burnt sugar and then lots of these burnt raisins and soaked sultanas. Good length. Difficult to score and seemingly improving rapidly in the glass. 85/100. Drunk 9/12/08 after 1 hour of decanter time.

As a footnote, I would observe that the other bottle of this wine, which I opened yesterday, was TCA contaminated and was not rated.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: 1983 Kopke vintage port

Post by benread »

My own experience so far suggests a very mixed quality. I have a suspicion that a fair number of the corks were of poor quality with those up to the mark hiding a reasonable bottle of port. Particularly at the £5/bottle they have been collectively acquired!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I agree. This is a decent bottle for the money - if it's got a half decent cork in it. However, if you've got some then drink them as soon as you can.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:I agree. This is a decent bottle for the money - if it's got a half decent cork in it. However, if you've got some then drink them as soon as you can.
I'm doing my best to comply with this advice :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

DRT wrote:
AHB wrote:I agree. This is a decent bottle for the money - if it's got a half decent cork in it. However, if you've got some then drink them as soon as you can.
I'm doing my best to comply with this advice :wink:
Me too!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

I opened the first of six very generously given to me by Tom with a hughe TCA-note in it. As I opened with my new tong, I at least had fun with this part.

Waiting for the next...

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com