1987 Royal Oporto

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1987 Royal Oporto vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

A bottle given to me by an antique-collecting friend. The cork was sound but branded only with "Vintage 1987". The bottle had no punt, but a surprising amount of sediment had settled in the bottom of the bottle - a good sign for the drinking to come. The colour of the port as it was decanting was a pale, rose colour. It made me think that in 20 years time it will appear a very pale brown, similar to the 1963 Royal Oporto that we have drunk from time to time.

More later.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1987 Royal Oporto vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

What a pleasant surprise! A mid-red colour, light in colour and with a pale orange rim. A colour which reminds me very much of the mature '63s. A very developed nose, very mature with sweet red licorice and leather over just a hint of bottle stink. In the mouth this is fully mature - the most advanced of any of the 1987 vintage ports I have tasted - but is held together by a strong acidic core. The strength of this acidity is overwhelming with only 1½ hours in the decanter and it may integrate better with a little more time. The flavours in the mouth are of soft red fruits, cooked in light syrup until they have fallen apart and integrated together. There is a very pleasant meaty tone. Up until this point, this port has been perfectly acceptable, if a little simple and one-dimensional and spoiled by the streak of acidity, but when you swallow the wine the aftertaste is fantastic. It is huge, dominating and lasts for ages - but not just one aftertaste, there are three or four entwined together and as one fades out the next comes into sharp focus. Quite extraordinary. Not a great wine, but one to hunt out and try for the aftertase alone. 88/100. Drunk 1/1/09.

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1987 Royal Oporto vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

4 hours after decanting and the acidity has fully integrated to leave a mature port that is absolutely ready for drinking and is extremely enjoyable. It has hit that spot in its maturity profile where it is just perfect for drinking - elegant yet still with lots of fruit and structure. So perfect, in fact, that there's only one glass left in the decanter. I can recommend this for anyone looking to buy a bottle to drink soon. Now 89/100.