NV Croft Platinum Reserve

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

NV Croft Platinum Reserve Port

Post by KillerB »

Made a penne bolognese tonight and needed a port to reduce in it. Not having a bottle of 1966 Fonseca VP available I went for the equivalent of Noval Nacional 63 instead.

A sort of dark raspberry juice colour and quite thin. Nose is sharp with alcohol. A little thicker in the mouth, there is the typical Croft sweet with a dry finish but little fruit, tannin or acidity. It's basically an acceptable ruby.

Bolgnese was good.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: NV Croft Platinum Reserve Port

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:Bolgnese was good.
NN63 Bolognese is unbelievably good - you should try it sometime
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I did use a bottle of Sandeman 1966 for cooking at a certain period. Don't ask any further, it's too painful.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

This maybe equivalent to the Fonseca 66 story so you are going to have to expand as Al-B did.

I had the Sandeman 66 at the original Crusting Pipe off-line and took the remainder home. It was much better when it wasn't being bludgeoned by Taylor, Graham and Fonseca.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Sorry to go back on topic (the Croft 66 deserves its (it's or its') own thread - I have had the Platinum reserve a number of times and found it best chilled as it takes some of the rough edges off
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I agree with that, it's an OK Ruby but has no finesse at all. Chilling it makes a cold, sweet thing with a dry finish. I genuinely prefer the Warre's Heritage which is really quite drinkable.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Agreed