1975 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1975 Graham

Post by uncle tom »

A careless lack of forward planning required me to choose a bottle from the cellar, take it with me to my brother's house some 70 miles away for a New Year's Eve party, with only a few hours to stand it up, decant and serve.

As I will shortly be departing to warmer climes for a few weeks, Death Row has been drunk to extinction, so I had nothing stood up that could be double decanted.

I was also minded to be not too extravagent, as the company was not going to be terribly discerning as far as port was concerned.

I recalled that G75 had previously been immediately approachable after decanting, and reckoned that it was likely to decant cleanly.

This was the first bottle out of an owc bought several years ago.

It did indeed decant cleanly, despite having been stood up for no more than ten minutes - it was very pale, with some bottle stink after decanting and a hot palate when first sampled.

Five hours later when served it had a weak but agreeable nose, but was still a bit hot and peppery on the palate.

I was a little embarassed by the wine, but the company liked it, and the decanter was soon empty.

Not as good as I had hoped, I feel that this is a wine that may be fading into oblivion.

But it was drinkable - score 2-1

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill