1988 Gould Campbell LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

1988 Gould Campbell LBV

Post by Rubby »

Part of a mixed lot bought at a wine auction.

Bottled in 1994. Unfiltered.

decant +2:
Although the label indicated nothing and this bottle had a T-stopper, this LBV was clearly unfiltered: a small solid cake of sediment against the side of the bottle.
Very dark red colour, but not opaque.
Attractive nose of cherries, orangepeel, dark chocolate and some fresh apricot. On the palette again cherries, orangepeel, fresh apricot and something mineral. Short but pleasant aftertaste. Hardly any tannins.
decant +3:
More red fruit appearing on the nose. A lovely full bodied fleshy taste now, with over-ripe strawberries and some blueberry added.

decant +24:
There seems to have been a lot of change overnight and not for the good. The nose and taste have become quite one dimensional of mainly cherries and maybe some elderberry and redcurrant. Also a lot of alcohol in the mouth. The aftertaste has become a bit soapy. Shame. It was a very good Port on day one.

A very delicate, rich LBV with VP qualities.
One of the best LBV's I've tasted so far. Don't leave anything for the next day though.
A winner.
Frequently Ask Questions
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1988 Gould Campbell LBV

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Do you think that the very good impression you had of this wine was because of the extra bottle age that the port had before you drank it?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Re: 1988 Gould Campbell LBV

Post by Rubby »

AHB wrote:Do you think that the very good impression you had of this wine was because of the extra bottle age that the port had before you drank it?
That's difficult to say since I never had a Gould Campbell LBV before or since, but this was certainly the oldest LBV I ever had.
To my taste it had more sweet ripe fruit tones (strawberries, apricot, orange peel) than the average young LBV (which tend to go more towards the red berries and cherries).
I'm not sure if this makes any sence though.
Frequently Ask Questions