1988 Smith Woodhouse Madalena

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1988 Smith Woodhouse Madalena Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

I came across this in a local wine merchants - never heard of it before but at £17 seemed worth a punt....

Decanted cleanly off lots of thick black crust. Bright red with just a slight tinge of dark rust brown when entering the decanter - lots of big fruity aromas as I poured 8)

First Taste
Beautiful clear bright red in the glass wth just a hint of browning - a very attractive colour. Tears are thick and clear and the nose is quite young. A nice thickish mouthfeel with tons of red fruits. A small amount of heat after a few seconds fades quickly and develops into a decent long finish with watering cheeks.

Obviously fully mature - this is an impressive start.

+3 Hours
Darker now but still bright and clear. Mouth feel has thickened significantly. Black cherry and chocolate dominate but now seems a little tannic and dry in the middle. The small amount of heat is distracting for a few seconds but quickly fades into that nice long mouthwatering finish.

My first note said this is "obviously fully mature" - now I'm not so sure.

+27 Hours
A beautiful raspberry cream smell when pouring from the decanter. Darker and slightly more brown than I remember from yesterday. Lighter mouth feel but very smooth with a satisfying warmth. The dry tannins have gone now. Dark chocolate cherry truffle, slightly bitter and still has that nice long finish.

I like this very much and will be going back for more so that I can see how it evolves over time.

On Tom's scale, definately above average for my taste and ahead of most SQVP's I have tasted recently. Where is it going? I am no expert but my guess is that this is at its peak now but still has enough backbone to last at least 5 years before starting to fade.

Score: 7-6