1997 Sandeman Vau

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1997 Sandeman Vau Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

1997 Sandeman Vau Vintage Port - tasted Oct 2005

On Decanting
Bright red colour - very much darker in the glass with a pink rim. Not much nose but slightly spirity. Dry taste - made my teeth squeak! Dark chocolate but not much fruit.

+4 Hours
Fruity aroma and starting to show cherry and chocolate flavours. Still not much alcohol but slightly bitter and a very dry finish
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Had this port last weekend, and it showed very similar to your bottle Derek. I thought this would have been much softer, and perhaps already losing some fruit, but I was very wrong. This is a youngster, and this may have been approachable when it was young, it is now in a stage where it should be left alone for some more years.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Ronnie.

On the assumption this is a common conclusion to the Vau 10 years from conception, we can presumably suggest the much trumpeted 'Drink Young' experiment failed?

Alan
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I guess so. I don't know how this port was when it was really young, but at this stage it behaves very much as a regular VP. For drinking between 10-15 years ports like Burmester and some single quintas (like Bomfim) seem to be a better choice.

This was, BTW, not a bad port at all. I think it will be very enjoyably once it re-emerges from its awkward stage.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

A solid Port and one have had several times over the years. It was always a very good value and drank really well young as the tannins and acidity were not as harsh, of course that is what it was designed for. I agree that it has seemed to hit a slight closed down phase, although a little later than most VP's due. I always knew this would last longer than most people thought, as Sandeman touted this as a drink young VP. I've still got a couple and just picked up a mag of it. It won't last forever, but the next 10-15 years, as Ronnie said, is also my estimate.