1978 Taylor Vargellas

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
benread
Niepoort 1977

1978 Taylor's Quinta de Vargellas

Post by benread »

This was one of a few bottles JacobH and I acquired jointly from Corney & Barrow. The cork was damp but came out in one piece much to my surprise. It reads "Quinta de Vargellas 1978 Vintage Port".

Decanted at 7.45pm and expected to be consumed this evening and tomorrow. In the decanter this is a dark red - almost like a pinot noir to look at. On the nose though very strong berry fruits. No immediate hint of the fire that Vargellas so often are quoted as having but a first taste later after dinner will reveal more. And I will!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: 1978 Taylor's Quinta de Vargellas

Post by benread »

First tasted at 9.30am - +1.45 hrs.

There is some Vargellas fire to this now but it is not overpowering at all. The fruit in the mouth is lovely, with a long after taste and lots of tannins. I suspect this will be even better tomorrow and given how tired I am feeling, there will be plenty left to test that theory!

For now though, I am happy with my purchase and I am sure JacobH will be with his!
Ben
-------
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

benread wrote:For now though, I am happy with my purchase and I am sure JacobH will be with his!
I’m glad to hear it it! Though I was going to wait to the Vargellas vertical to try it :P
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

D+24 hours:

There is still some pepper and fire on the nose but to taste much less so. This has definitely mellowed since last night and in my opinion needs at least 24 hours of decanting. The fruit is more obvious tonight.

It is possible I may be able to give a D+48 hour opinion, but no promises! Edward has yet to have his late night feed.....
Ben
-------
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

benread wrote:It is possible I may be able to give a D+48 hour opinion, but no promises! Edward has yet to have his late night feed.....
Is Edward likely to finish it all?
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

jdaw1 wrote:
benread wrote:It is possible I may be able to give a D+48 hour opinion, but no promises! Edward has yet to have his late night feed.....
Is Edward likely to finish it all?
Edward slept, Dad drank. No D+48 notes available!
Ben
-------