1947 Rebello Valente

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1947 Rebello Valente VP

Post by JacobH »

Drunk at TCP with AHB and UncleTom on the 17th March 2009. Apparently finished the next day by AHB, Benread and Christopher.

I believe that this was my first Rebello Valente. This bottle had a perfect label; like on of those old-style Cockburn's. Unfortunately it was leaking which is why its demise was planned for this night.

I didn't take any notes at the time, but from memory, a few days latter, there was a lot of spirit showing, both on the nose and the mouth, and, unfortunately, most of the fruit had faded away. I do wonder how much the leaking has contributed to this, or whether the spirit would blow off the next day.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1947 Rebello Valente VP

Post by uncle tom »

It had certainly seen better days, but was still very drinkable.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Mid-shoulder fill, UK bottled by Robertsons, weeping slightly. Very light in colour with a very pale rim. Very smelly on the nose with not much coming through other then the bottle stink. Hollow entry, perhaps a bit of lifein the mid-palate, but really not very much at all. After a lot of work and with mixing with air, some red jelly bean comes through . The aftertaste is the best feature of the wine, starting with a burst of fire that fades quickly and leaves a long and lingering taste of candied fruit. Even extended decating failed to bring this wine to life. Clearly dead, but the question is whether from age or over exposure to air from an ullaged bottle. 84/100. Drunk 17-18 March 2009.
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 17:11 Sun 22 Mar 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

So did Dominic's quote "they always serve RV at the factory house when women are present" fit again?

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com